You can experiment with this recipe endlessly by using herbs and vegetables of your own preference.
Preparation time 20 minutes
Cooking time 15 minutes
For the fish
6 small potatoes
2 salmon fillets
1/2 lemon and additional 2 slices
1 tbsp finely chopped herbs (flatleaf parsley, dill and chives)
1 1/2 tsp capers finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil ( extra olive oil for poatoes)
Salt and pepper to taste
For the Tomato Vinaigrette
1 small punnet cherry halved or 2 Roma tomatoes sliced into quarters
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 small dried chilli chopped ( optional )
1-2 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil
1-2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tbsp chopped herbs flat leaf parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 175C. Prepare and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place potatoes into a saucepan and fill with water to cover the potatoes. Season with salt. Bring potatoes to boil over a hight heat, then reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are cooked through (20 minutes or so).
- Drain potatoes and using a potato masher squash them down without mashing. Add few sprigs of chopped thyme, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, give a good stir with a fork. Keep warm until needed.
- With the tip of a sharp knife remove the rind and the pith from the lemon slices.
- Mix chopped capers and herbs together, grate a little bit of lemon zest into the mixture.
- Massage the mixture of herbs, capers, olive oil and lemon zest into the fish fillets on both sides. Drizzle with lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Set aside to marinade for 5-10 minutes.
- In a bowl mix all ingredients for the tomato vinaigrette together. Season with salt and pepper and cover with cling film and refrigerate until needed.
- Bake salmon for 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of the fish slices. Bigger slices will require a longer time to cook through.
To make sure fish is cooked, make a small cut with the tip of a knife at the thickest part of the fish, it should flake off easily. When cooking salmon, watch it closely as it is quick to overcook.
- Serve fish with smashed potatoes topped with tomato vinaigrette and generously drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and with lemon wedges on the side.